Robot Platform - Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Introduce yourself
10-23-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Introduce yourself
Hi there,

My name is witwiki. I am new to robotics and embedded programming and uCs. I'm just keen to learn. I wasn't too sure if this was the place to ask or whether I should do this in the 'Tools' Thread next time but I'll say it anyways.

I haven't gone through all the videos and material yet still on Electronics and Atomic Theory. But, I was wondering if there was a 'Starter Kit' available and if so, where could I buy it?

For example, Arduino which is what I've used before, has something called 'Arduino Starter Kit' which comes with a board, wires, LEDs, etc etc and a book of projects that the user can do using the starter kit. This helped me familiarize with the open source hardware as a beginner. I was wondering if something similar existed for me to start like this with AVR etc? Something a bit more challenging...

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank You! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi witwiki,

Welcome to the forum. If you are aware of arduino, you are already aware of AVR. Arduino uses AVR microcontroller as its brain.

Regarding starter kit, you can buy an Atmega8 (or equivalent) microcontroller in any local hardware store and necessary accessories. If you tell me where you live, I might try suggesting a local store as well as a list of things you may decide to buy.

Cheers,
Admin

Robot building is all about sharing & learning
http://www.robotplatform.com
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey Admin,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'd appreciate for any local stores and a list to start things off. I live in Auckland, New Zealand, hope that helps. I am aware of JayCar electronics a store close by to where I live. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
witwiki
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Any particular reason why you would'nt want Jaycer Electronics?

Robot building is all about sharing & learning
http://www.robotplatform.com
03-17-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't like that..
06-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Hi,
I'm Dirk. I am just beginning to play around with AVR MCU's. I found this forum by searching for programing AVR MCU's. Your introduction in C programming is a good starting point!